[Samba] samba4.1.4 samba-tool fails to join domain

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Thu Feb 13 13:23:57 MST 2014

Update,
      The /opt/samba-4.1.4/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba does exist
and the param.so file is there. So not sure why it is complaining that
it cannot find that module????

---------------------------------

All,
     I have compiled and installed samba with no errors on OmniOS
151.008j-r1.  Reading the following wiki to join to an existing AD domain:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC

All steps go through with out any issues until I run:

bin/samba-tool domain join engr.colostate.edu DC -Uadministrator
--realm=engr.colostate.edu --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ

I get the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/samba-tool", line 33, in <module>
     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
   File
"/opt/samba-4.1.4/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/__init__.py", line
27, in <module>
     import samba.param
ImportError: No module named param

I cannot find the samba.param file in the samba install folder anywhere.
  Looking like something didn't go right during the install?

I did just basic configure command:
./configure --prefix=/opt/samba-4.1.4
make
make install

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager           Solaris 10 OS (SAI)
Engineering Network Services    Phone: 970-491-0630
College of Engineering, CSU     Fax:   970-491-5569
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'