[Samba] samba 3 to samba 4 migration questions

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:43:52 MST 2014

I'll make a guess.

If your existing samba3 system was set to use /etc/passwd and /etc/group
then your samba4 installation will also have to use the same 'data'. It's
been a while since I did a samba 3 domain, but when you ran net groupmap
your made mapping between the users in the domain control data base (are
you using tdbsam?) and the users and groups in linux. That mapping will
need to be retain because any SID's uses in acl will contain the uid's from
that mapping.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Chris Smith <smb_77 at chrissmith.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Chris Smith <smb_77 at chrissmith.org>
> wrote:
> > Do the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on the new server I'm
> > migrating only the DC duties to need to have the same users and groups
> > as the old server which will be used for just file and print serving
> > before starting the upgrade?
>
> Restating the above question. Any takers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
> --

David Bear