[Samba] Samba 4 issues on FreeBSD 9

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Thu Feb 13 06:12:16 MST 2014

Hi,
I have been experimenting with Samba 4 on FreeBSD 9 and after a lot of googling the core stuff is working (phew).

However I have a few problems, I am trying to setup roaming profiles and the tutorials suggest creating the share and then using a windows client to set the ACLs on it, however to do that the user needs the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege priv, so I

[midget 23:38] ~ >net rpc rights grant LABF\\darius SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -Uadministrator -Sns
Enter administrator's password:
Successfully granted rights.
[midget 23:38] ~ >net rpc rights list privileges SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -Sns
Enter darius's password:
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege:
  LABF\darius
  LABF\Domain Users

However I am unable to set the ACLs (it reports access denied) and if I run whoami /priv on Windows I get..
Privilege Name                Description                          State
============================= ==================================== ========
SeShutdownPrivilege           Shut down the system                 Disabled
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege       Bypass traverse checking             Enabled
SeUndockPrivilege             Remove computer from docking station Disabled
SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege Increase a process working set       Disabled
SeTimeZonePrivilege           Change the time zone                 Disabled

which doesn't even show SeDiskOperatorPrivilege, let alone suggest I have been granted it.

I also find I can't set group policy objects (access denied again) but I'm not sure how to go about tracking that down.. Any suggestions welcome :)

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum