[Samba] ZFS support for SAMAB4?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 12 20:59:41 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 00:30 +0000, Petros wrote:
> Quoting "Björn JACKE" <bj at SerNet.DE>
> > On 2014-02-11 at 17:43 -0700 CJ Keist sent off:
> >> I saw one thread 2013 that ZFS wasn't supported yet in Samba4?  Is
> >> there any new update on ZFS support?
>
> I have it running as a Domain server under FreeBSD, installed from the
> ports. I used the README.FreeBSD as a guide.
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/net/samba41/files/README.FreeBSD.in?revision=340872&view=markup
>
> It is actually sitting there waiting to go live.. A time issue.
>
> > On a AD DC you should not run file shares btw, use a member server
> > for that ...
>
> Curious question: Why do you think so?

While the AD DC is running our full file server, and can act quite well
as a file server, we suggest that organisations run a distinct file
server to allow upgrades of each without disrupting the other.  We also
suggest that many medium-sized sites will want more than one AD DC, and
so it makes sense to have the DCs distinct to any file servers that may
use the DCs.

Finally, it avoids many of the issues around the winbindd internal to
the AD DC.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett