[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 15:02:55 MST 2014

On 12/02/14 16:36, Chris Weiss wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 13:52 +0000, Adam Barnes wrote:
>>> Right i'm not making any progress with this and now ive got myself totally
>>> confused..
>>> No matter what I try it comes back to the same thing security = share or
>>> user, all the other settings don't seem to make a difference.
>>> I can't think of a reason why this would be, I don't know linux well enough
>>> to know how it passes the credentials.
>>>
>>> I really don't know what to try now.
>> If you
>> can get away from the workgroup idea, I think you'll make this a lot
>> easier to understand. Once you get domain centralised, you never go
>> back.
>> HTH
>> Steve
>>
> I completely disagree.  there's windows computers involved and MS has
> made it increasingly more difficult use any of the "home" editions in
> a domain.
>
> we're only talking about a couple users and one server here.
> security=user is completely manageable.

Absolutely! With all due respect, I find it really hard to refrain from
expressing my true reaction to "If you can get away from the workgroup
idea, I think you'll make this a lot easier to understand". For pete's
sake, workgroups might have their long list of shortcomings, but they
are a helluvalot simpler to setup than a domain. And yes, I have managed
and used both in different setups for a good number of years. We are
talking about someone who's trying to get two computers to see a share
on a third one - and the best suggestion is to move to using a domain?
It's like telling someone who's trying to fix their mountain bike to go
and buy a Hummer - as it is a real capable vehicle and it will solve all
their problems!

Besides, if figuring out a 10 lines smb.conf file proves so difficult
and the OP has confessed limited Linux knowledge, how would setting up
and troubleshooting a domain be an easier task?