[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:49:49 MST 2014

On 12/02/14 16:12, Chris Weiss wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> OK, try using this smb.conf as a starting point:
>>
>> [global]
>>      workgroup = WORKGROUP
>>      netbios name = UBUNTUSERVER
>>      server string = Samba Server Version %v
>>      log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>      max log size = 50
>>      security = user
>>      unix extensions = no
> you may also need "map to guest = bad user" here, depending on your
> build's defaults.  this will only work if the windows system's logon
> usernames that you want to have guest access do not have a valid
> username on the samba host.  If they do, it's best to set their
> smbpasswd and add them to the valid users list on the share.
I was just trying to get the user up and running, lets add things later
once the basic's are working.

> one thing I see missing in this thread is the order that things happen.
> 1. client connects to server first, not the share
> 2. server challenges client for authentication
> 3. client will automatically try its local user account
> 4. if "map to guest = never" and auth fails, you get prompted for an
> account, if that also fails, you get denied.  if "=bad user" and the
> username supplied is not in the samba server you get allows as
> "guest".  if it is, and the password doens't match, you get prompted
> and denied as with "=never".
> 5. client then connects to the share
> 6. share options are checked to see if that user, or guest, is allowed
>
> you cannot have a windows system connect to the same server as 2
> different users.  a client system should either be fully as guest, or
> fully as a user, for all shares.
Well, seeing as a windows system is 'single user' system, you are right
on that, but if a user logs off and another user logs on, then the new
can connect to the same share as the previous user.

> security=share is old school and has some oddities.  I would avoid it.
>   managing users and smbpasswd is not that difficult and things will be
> a lot more predictable.
Totally agree with that statement, anything else for 2 or three users is
well over the top ;-)

Rowland