[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:12:45 MST 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
> OK, try using this smb.conf as a starting point:
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = WORKGROUP
>     netbios name = UBUNTUSERVER
>     server string = Samba Server Version %v
>     log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>     max log size = 50
>     security = user
>     unix extensions = no

you may also need "map to guest = bad user" here, depending on your
build's defaults.  this will only work if the windows system's logon
usernames that you want to have guest access do not have a valid
username on the samba host.  If they do, it's best to set their
smbpasswd and add them to the valid users list on the share.

one thing I see missing in this thread is the order that things happen.
1. client connects to server first, not the share
2. server challenges client for authentication
3. client will automatically try its local user account
4. if "map to guest = never" and auth fails, you get prompted for an
account, if that also fails, you get denied.  if "=bad user" and the
username supplied is not in the samba server you get allows as
"guest".  if it is, and the password doens't match, you get prompted
and denied as with "=never".
5. client then connects to the share
6. share options are checked to see if that user, or guest, is allowed

you cannot have a windows system connect to the same server as 2
different users.  a client system should either be fully as guest, or
fully as a user, for all shares.

security=share is old school and has some oddities.  I would avoid it.
 managing users and smbpasswd is not that difficult and things will be
a lot more predictable.