[Samba] Where do I get detailed information about oplock-types and possible errors?

bugblatterbeast samba at bugblatterbeast.de
Wed Feb 12 08:44:11 MST 2014

Hello,

     I would like to know, what the oplock 'EXCLUSIVE+BATCH' exactly
means. Does anybody know a good manual about samba's oplocks?

     Could it possibly cause oplock-trouble and even disconnections, if
a user is constantly logged in on one AD-workstations and also
frequently accesses network files from a WinXP+SP2 workstation (that is
not part of the AD-Domain) via credentials?

Nice regards, bbb

Background-Information:

One of our AD-users is having severe problems with frequent
disconnections from the AD-Domain. I've noticed that the user has quite
a lot error messages, that look like this:

[2013/10/21 08:53:15.854203,  0]
../source3/smbd/oplock.c:333(oplock_timeout_handler)
   Oplock break failed for file
user_x/Anwendungsdaten/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfo6pijp.default/panacea.dat
-- replying anyway

There's also something strage about the users locked files in smbstatus
output: when any other user would use the oplock 'BATCH', the user with
the problems always uses 'EXCLUSIVE+BATCH'

15306        3000035    DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/home/samba
user_x/Anwendungsdaten/Thunderbird/Profiles/pfo6pijp.default/panacea.dat
Wed Feb 12 14:56:34 2014
15311        3000038    DENY_NONE  0x12019f    RDWR BATCH
/home/samba
user_ok/Anwendungsdaten/Thunderbird/Profiles/i8g18axs.default/panacea.dat Wed
Feb 12 09:09:46 2014

The user with the disconnection-problems is constantly working on two
different workstations at the same time... unfortunately we have to use
an additional WinXP+SP2 workstation for a special software, we need. I'm
currently setting up a second account for this users - perhaps it will
help. This is not a support-request, just a question/discussion.