[Samba] Samba 3.6.9: spoolss_connect_to_client: unable to open the spoolss pipe on machine WINDOWS-SERVER-2.WINDOWS. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:19:01 MST 2014

Trying to get a printer server running Samba 3.6.9 (On CentOS 6.5)
going. Trying to add said printers to a Windows Server 2012 machine
prior to deploying to a network of Windows 8.1 laptops.

Definitely making progress; finally figured out the initial permissions
issue I was having (combination of a winbind separator and using the
wrong group prefix and syntax for user lists in an AD context), but now
I'm hitting an issue for which there doesn't seem to be any
documentation anywhere.

When I go to print a test page from the Windows Server 2012 box, I see
in my logs:

/var/log/samba/log.10.161.1.32:[2014/02/11 23:59:41.351402,  2]
rpc_server/spoolss/srv_spoolss_nt.c:2517(spoolss_connect_to_client) /var/log/samba/log.10.161.1.32:
spoolss_connect_to_client: unable to open the spoolss pipe on machine
WINDOWS-SERVER-2.WINDOWS. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

If I read this correctly, the Windows Server machine is being granted
permission by the Samba server to print...but the samba server is being
denied access to turn around and talk to the Windows Server machine's
spoolss pipe.

I hope I haven't stumbled across an incompatibility between Windows
Server 2012 (and Win8!) and Samba 3.6.9...if that's the case, I may have
to scrap this project entirely! Upgrading to Samba 4 *might* be a
possibility, but I've got deadlines coming up that suggest I should
scrap this instead if it's going to take another full day.