[Samba] Samba 4 documentation hard to find.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 11 16:46:33 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 12:03 -0500, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> > Hello Thomas,
> >
> > > I configured with the same options. Our Samba 3 setup has smb.conf in
> > > PREFIX/lib and the install procedure does not create a  PREFIX/etc.
> > > Samba 4 wants to find smb.conf in PREFIX/etc. Now it may be that
> > > having it in PREFIX/lib is left over from Samba 2 and it could also
> > > be in PREFIX/etc for Samba 3.
> >
> > You can use the configure option '--sysconfdir=' for setting this.
>
> I let that default for both Samba 3 and 4. The configure help for Samba 3
> says:
>   --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
> But, at least on Solaris, smbd and nmbd look for smb.conf in PREFIX/lib.
> Samba 4 does expect smb.conf to be in etc which, at least on Solaris, is
> an unexpected change.

Samba moved to be more inline with all other packages which have used
etc for well over a decade, and a desire to move closer to the FHS as
much as possible.  The default of 'lib' is a hold-over from a much
earlier pattern of file locations, going back over two decades.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/