[Samba] Samba 4 documentation hard to find.

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Feb 10 14:09:15 MST 2014

There must be something that I am missing here.
We have been running Samba 3.6.18 and I decided that it was time to check
out Samba 4.1.4. Now that I have it, what do I do with it? I have found the
man pages, but I was expecting that there would be some overview available
somewhere. The first question that I could not find an answer for was what
directory do I put the smb.conf file in. I found the answer to that by
using the strings command on all of the shared libraries and greping for
smb.conf. So I put it in etc and started smbd and nmbd the way I did for
Samba 3. That works. But the samba program also provides file services.
Does it do exactly the same things that smbd and nmbd do for sharing files?
And I would like to have a backup domain controler for our Windows domain
controler. Where do I start?

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com