[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 09:31:05 MST 2014

On 09/02/14 23:33, Adam Barnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I tried to keep it brief in case it was a simple mistake that i'd
> made.
>
> For the samba username and password on windows ive added the details to the
> user credentials,
> and on raspbmc I created a new user with the same username and password and
> the same uid.
>
> The server is running Ubuntu 12.04.3 server edition, with samba 3.6.3
> The config file is:
>
> [global]
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
> %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> obey pam restrictions = yes
> map to guest = bad user
> encrypt passwords = true
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> wins support = true
> dns proxy = no
> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> unix password sync = yes
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> os level = 20
> #security = share
> security = user
> map to guest = Bad User
> syslog = 0
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> usershare allow guests = yes
> max log size = 1000
> pam password change = yes
> netbios name = ubuntuserver
> client lanman auth = yes
> client ntlmv2 auth = no
>
> [Music]
> valid users = MD,XB
> path = /home/adam/Desktop/Music
> write list = MD
>
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = yes
> unix extensions = no
>

> Samba is on raspbmc version 3.6.6. Maybe i've got this totally confused but
> I didn't think that this was needed? there are no files shared from raspbmc
> it only accesses the files
> on the server? The config file is:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> #usershare allow guests = yes
> #security = share
> security = user
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = no
> unix extensions = no
> lock directory = /var/cache/samba

Well, I could be wrong here, but does smbclient (or whatever samba
client you use) really need an smb.conf file? Not sure you need an
smb.conf file on the raspbmc.

Also, does /home/adam/Desktop/Music have the right permissions for both
the MB and XB users in Linux? Also, unless you need it, I wouldn't use
map to guest = bad user. I would use at least map to guest = bad
password. The "Bad User" option can easily hide other login problems.

On top of the above, normally I use a "guest account = some_linux_user"
in the global section of the server. Otherwise how would the server know
which guest account to use?