[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 10 02:32:28 MST 2014

On 09/02/14 23:33, Adam Barnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I tried to keep it brief in case it was a simple mistake that
> i'd made.
>
> For the samba username and password on windows ive added the details
> to the user credentials,
> and on raspbmc I created a new user with the same username and
> password and the same uid.
>
> The server is running Ubuntu 12.04.3 server edition, with samba 3.6.3
> The config file is:
>
> [global]
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> obey pam restrictions = yes
> map to guest = bad user
> encrypt passwords = true
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> wins support = true
> dns proxy = no
> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> unix password sync = yes
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> os level = 20
> #security = share
> security = user
> map to guest = Bad User
> syslog = 0
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> usershare allow guests = yes
> max log size = 1000
> pam password change = yes
> netbios name = ubuntuserver
> client lanman auth = yes
> client ntlmv2 auth = no
>
> [Music]
> valid users = MD,XB
> path = /home/adam/Desktop/Music
> write list = MD
>
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = yes
> unix extensions = no
>

> Samba is on raspbmc version 3.6.6. Maybe i've got this totally
> confused but I didn't think that this was needed? there are no files
> shared from raspbmc it only accesses the files
> on the server? The config file is:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> #usershare allow guests = yes
> #security = share
> security = user
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = no
> unix extensions = no
> lock directory = /var/cache/samba
>

> On 8 February 2014 14:37, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
> <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/02/14 02:33, Adam Barnes wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         Ive setup an ubuntu server running samba as a media server for
>         xbmc.
>         Ive used webmin to setup samba, on which I have two users one
>         with read
>         only access and one with read/write.
>
>         I access the samba shares using windows and raspbmc (based on
>         Debian).
>
>         The way I want my setup to work is most machines will user the
>         samba user
> [...]
Hi, you might think that you are running a Ubuntu samba server, but you
are not, you are running a workgroup.
This means that every user must have an account on every computer, they
do not have to have the same gid, just the same username & password.

There are also possible problems with the smb.conf on both machines, at
the end of the ubuntu one are these lines:

follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
unix extensions = no

These appear to be part of [Music] , only problem is that 'unix
extensions = no' should be part of [global].

The smb.conf on the raspberry pi needs to be basically the same as the
ubuntu one but without the shares.

Rowland