[Samba] samba4 best practices questions

Joe Maloney jmaloney at pcbsd.org
Sat Feb 8 13:46:25 MST 2014

I'm interested in using samba4 in a production environment that has
multiple locations tied together via a WAN.  In order to do so I need to
figure out what is the absolute most stable and supported path.

I found this email thread here stating samba4 ad roles, and file server
roles should be on separate servers.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mailing.unix.samba/QySoM_uGGL8

Can anyone answer is this still the case?

In addition I've been noticing that sysvol replication is not officially
supported and third party tools such as rsync can be used as a work
around.  So I think I would ultimately like each location to have it's own
standalone PDC or just member servers of the PDC.

My question is are trust relationships working between samba 4 and samba4
servers yet?   I've been reading that trust relationships are one way only
does this apply to samba servers only talking to eachother as well?  Could
one user from one location log in at another location and so on this way?
Is this just a bad idea altogether right now?

If the above is not possible would joining file servers as member servers
only prove to be the best way forward until these features are
implimented?  Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may be able to
provide.

Joe Maloney