[Samba] Change Operating System Version Number

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Sat Feb 8 12:40:21 MST 2014

Hello,

Am 08.02.2014 19:53, schrieb Robert Sweetnam:
> I was wondering if it is possible to change the advertised
 > operating system version that Samba 4 reports?
>
> For example if you browse to the Samba 4 AD account using
 > the WIndows AD Users and Computer utility and right click on
> the Samba 4 server, under the Operating System Tab the Name
 > will appear as Samba and the version will appear as the current
 > Samba Version. As I built from source this is appearing as 4.1.4.

Do you mean the operationSystem and operationSystemVersion attribute of
the domain controllers machine account?

This is always set to "Samba" and the version you run at
provisioning/classicupgrade time:

# ldbsearch -H ldap://DC1 -U administrator "cn=DC1"
Password for [SAMDOM\administrator]
# record 1
operatingSystem: Samba
operatingSystemVersion: 4.0.5

You can change this with
# ldbedit -H ldap://localhost -Uadministrator -b "CN=DC1,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com"

As the version always shows the one you used at provisioning time and
never changes, I _guess_, that it's save to change it. But without any
warranty. :-)

Regards,
Marc