[Samba] Change Operating System Version Number

Robert Sweetnam lists at fsck.eu
Sat Feb 8 11:53:33 MST 2014

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any reference.

I was wondering if it is possible to change the advertised operating system version that Samba 4 reports?

For example if you browse to the Samba 4 AD account using the WIndows AD Users and Computer utility and right click on the Samba 4 server, under the Operating System Tab the Name will appear as Samba and the version will appear as the current Samba Version. As I built from source this is appearing as 4.1.4.

Is it possible to change this to something like 5 or 6 or even 7 ? The reason I want to do this is some programs, notably Exchange 2010 check the AD controller before installing. While the Functional Level is correct the Exchange Installer detects the OS as version 4.1.4 or whatever and bomb out.

I've tried manipulating the server string parameter in smb.conf but to no avail.

Many thanks in advance.
Robert