[Samba] Windows and Linux can't access Samba at the same time.

Adam Barnes adamcbarnes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:33:48 MST 2014

Hello,

Ive setup an ubuntu server running samba as a media server for xbmc.
Ive used webmin to setup samba, on which I have two users one with read
only access and one with read/write.

I access the samba shares using windows and raspbmc (based on Debian).

The way I want my setup to work is most machines will user the samba user
with read only, but to have one machine
with full access. This works perfectly with only windows machines on the
network (excluding the server)

The problem im having is that when I add raspbmc it is unable to access the
shares, it just rejects the password.

I found out that if I change the security setting from "security = share"
to "security = user" then raspbmc is able to access the shares,
but windows is not, and vice versa.

Im really stuck on this and would appreciate any help.

Thank very much.
Adam