[Samba] Two Samba Server (with same Domain Name) on the same subnet??

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 7 13:47:32 MST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 13:30 +0100, W Forum W wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
> We have a samba (v3.2.5).domain (workgroup=TESTDOMAIN)  on a debian
> server (with opanldap authentication) running for several years.
> Now I would like to let this domain temporarily active (due to old
> windowsXP client, they will dissaperar  soon).
>
> In the meantime I will setup a second samba server (v3.6.6)
> (authentication through another openldap server - running already) with
> the same Domain Name (workgroup=TESTDOMAIN) for new windows 7 Clients.
>
> My question: is it possible to run 2 Samba Servers (both preferred
> master and domain master) with the same Domain Name without interfering
> each other.??
>
> New clients will not be configured in the old Samba Server.

No.  But you could make them share the same OpenLDAP backend, but this
would still be a change in your production environment.

In general, it is best to keep the same name and SID, and so I suggest
you do work to upgrade your existing environment.  Trying to set up a
new parallel environment with the same name but a different SID and set
of user/machine accounts will just end in tears.

Andrew Bartlett