[Samba] Windows drive mapping using alternate port

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 6 12:41:23 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:22:33AM -0800, Kris Springer wrote:
> Help.  I've got an Ubuntu server running fine with Samba.  I can connect
> remotely using an iPhone app using an alternate port number that I've
> configured to NAT to port 445 through my firewall.  But, my ISP has blocked
> port 445 for security reasons and I have no way of Mapping a drive in a
> remote Windows machine because port 445 is blocked and there doesn't seem to
> be any way to edit it or use an alternative port number.  I was hoping
> there's a client software that could resolve this, or some other way of
> remotely mapping shares to my server.  I do not have any local machines
> inside the server local network, all the users are remote and work from
> home.  Right now we're utilizing a cloud share provider but we want to bring
> everything in-house but I can't seem to get this to work.  L

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to make a Windows client
use a different port. You might be able to fake it by having
a local server that redirects all traffic to/from port 445
to another remote port via netcat, and run the remote server
on that port - but that will probably introduce latencty.

Jeremy.