[Samba] How to change objectSid?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 5 14:17:03 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 16:46 -0300, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 09:18 -0300, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> >> I'm migrating from Samba3 o Samba4 in en environment where I have a
> >> central location and branches. Every branch with its own Samba3, using
> >> OpenLDAP.
> >
> > In each of these locations, did Samba have it's own domain, or was this
> > one big domain?
>
> One big domain.
>

> >> I can't migrate all the locations at the same time. I'm
> >> going to migrate the central site and then I'm one site per week
> >> (around 10 locations).
> >
> > OK.
> >
> >> In the meantime, users and groups will be created in Samba3, so I was
> >> thinking about injecting the new users and groups in the Samba4 until
> >> we eliminate Samba3 definitely.
> >
> > Could you create them into Samba4, and instead back-populate them into
> > Samba3?
>
> Yes, I like that solution. I'm going to do it in that way.
>
> The only remaining issue are the new workstations. I'll need to copy
> the new machines from S3 to S4. If we don't do it, it's not a serious
> issue, but it would be great. I think our client is not going to buy a
> lot of machine in the middle of the migration :)

It should be pretty easy to rejoin those machines, if that helps avoid
another special case to handle.

> My modified classsicupgrade works to copy wks, but I'd prefer
> something more simple. I'll open another thread about an script that
> I've tried to do without success.

OK.  I would like to understand how to make this tool and Samba in
general more helpful for those doing complex migrations, particularly
those for whom a once-over cut just isn't practical.

Andrew Bartlett