[Samba] samba4 [homes] | canonicalize_connect_path failed for service

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 5 11:28:24 MST 2014

On 05/02/14 18:14, mourik jan heupink wrote:
> Hi Rowland, Michael, list,
>
> On 2/5/2014 18:22, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> Are you trying to mount the users home directory from a samba4 AD DC on
>> to a windows machine? or from a linux fileserver (member server, client,
>> etc)?
> This is on a windows 7 client machine (a domain member) from a samba4
> (sernet 4.1.4) AD DC. I realise it is advised not to use the DC for
> filesharing. Perhaps that is my issue?
Well, after I did some testing, I am not so sure about not using the DC
for fileserving, I have found that if your linux client does not run
winbind, then you cannot control the ACL's from a windows machine, but
on a machine running as the samba4 AD, with the winbind links in place
and using sssd for authentication, you can. YMMV

>> What is the output of:
>>
>> (on the client)
>> echo %HOMESHARE%
> %HOMESHARE%
>
>> echo %HOMEDRIVE%
> C:
>
>> (on the server)
>> getent passwd USERNAME
> username:*:1014:512:firstname lastname:/home/username:/bin/bash
>
> "id username" shows all groups as expected.
>
> I am using sssd for my linux users, but I was expecting the situation
> above to be (basicaly) a samba4 <-> windows7client interaction.
>
> Andrew Bartlett responded also very kindly responded to my question,
> but since the recent sssd discussions etc, I thought I should try to
> use his proposal. (the built in winbind and nss_winbind on the AD DC)
>
> But I'm not sure where to search for the root of this issue... My own
> config, sssd, sernet packages, somewehere else...?
If you are trying to mount users home directories from a 'classic' samba
machine, I believe that you can use the [homes] share as always, having
said that, if you follow the howto on the wiki, you can also use [home]
on the samba4 server.

Rowland