[Samba] Samba4 implementation

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 4 18:20:51 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 14:09 +0100, Moisés Barba Pérez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask you for your samba4 implementations. As we are thinking
> to install samba4 we would like to know if somebody has a similar structure
> and load, and know about the performance.
>
> We have about 22 centers with 2 samba4 servers for domain, ldap and dns.
> Each center must serve about 5k domain clients with 5k workstations and
> servers in the center. The number of domain clients could be increased to
> 15k. The samba4 configuration has to be replicated in all the centers.
>
> Besides the domain logons and the dns queries, we also have serveral
> applications that pull the ldap for sinchronize data and/or access control.
> The traffic for replications, sinchronization, logons, searches, access
> control, etc, is high, so the load in the servers is as high as the traffic.
>
> Has anybody such a scenario? Which could be the hardware specifications
> needed for the samba4 servers? Any suggestions are welcome.

G'Day,

This certainly would be a very large Samba 4.x as an AD DC
implementation, and I do wish you the very best with it.  Please plan
and test carefully, we know it can scale much larger than we ever
imagined, but likewise we know there are issues that we would like to
work with you to address if you hit them.  (For example, we have some
patches for LDB that help it scale more, but we also know that dbcheck
for example really, really doesn't scale).

So, take advantage of the help on the list, and perhaps bring in someone
to assist with your migration.

For that size, please stay away from the internal DNS server, as the
issue with deleted objects will really bite you fast, and you probably
want the other features of BIND anyway.

Also, what is the current environment?  Can you give more detail as to
what you are moving from, and what the clients are?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett