[Samba] Password-less Share on a Samba DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 4 18:09:29 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 15:16 +0000, Tiago Dias wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am setting up a samba 4 DC in my home server, and I have multiple
> shares I want to only be accessed after username/password input, and
> those are working fine. However, I also want to have one share that can
> be accessed by anyone in the network, without entering any credentials.
> I searched around the internet and found that I could use "security =
> user" and "map to guest = Bad User", but when I try to access the share
> from a Windows client I still get the credentials popup, and can only
> see the share by either entering a real username and password or "\" in
> the username field and leaving the password blank.
>
> Is there any way to have the share working the way I want it?

The issue is that 'map to guest = bad user' isn't hooked in to the AD DC
code.  There was a patch to implement it, based on the guest account (as
windows does), but I didn't review it positively and I need to find and
remember why I didn't like it.

So currently this is incompatible with being an AD DC.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett