[Samba] Samba4 internal DNS wildcards

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 11:27:56 MST 2014

Hi folks,

Can't seem to find any info on this one.

I've done a Samba3 classic upgrade to Samba4 on my test rig which has gone
very well so far. All users and groups look good, I'm using NSLCD to view
creds on my *nix boxes and I'm generally a happy camper, but...

I can't seem to get DNS wildcards working. I create a new domain under main
search domain in Forward Lookup Zones and then add a wildcard entry and
(same as parent folder) entry pointing to an internal address. For instance
in the domain example.com I create new subdomain test.example.com with
wildcard entry for *.test.example.com.

test.example.com resolves fine, but any wildcard refuses to work. Is this a
know bug or am  I missing something obvious? I would rather not move to
bind if possible, but if it's the only way ...

Cheers,
Chris.