[Samba] Big Problems with samba 4.1 and mdb files

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue Feb 4 07:54:12 MST 2014

On 2/4/2014 5:23 AM, Jörg Mayer wrote:
> Our installation:
>
> 7 x Windows 7 Clients, 1 Samba 4.1.4 Server with Active Directory
>
> The clients use mdb databases.
>

> Our situation:
>
> Every 30 to 60 Minutes a windows 7 client cannot receive the actual
> database. After a new login, the data is actualized.

You'd probably have the same issues with Win2008 or Win2012 servers.
Basically, shared MDBs on a network drive are a bad idea in later
versions.  (I remember reading about this a year or two ago, but can't
remember the details.  Possibly had to do with the changing of file
locking semantics in newer SMB or CIFS protocol.)

Best fix is to:

1. Migrate the table data into PostgreSQL database tables.

2. Setup ODBC DSNs on the client machines that connect to the PostgreSQL
database.

3. Replace the tables inside the MDB with ODBC linked tables, then
change the name to match the old table name.