[Samba] sysvol replication via clustered/distributed file system

Thoralf Schulze tschulze at deutsche-kinemathek.de
Tue Feb 4 04:38:39 MST 2014

hi there,

the samba wiki currently recommends using rsync to achieve sysvol
replication in an ad dc setup with more than one dc.

this seems a bit kludgy to me … using some sort of a distributed file
system would probably be a more elegant solution. while researching
this, i came across a few threads on this list, but unfortunately none
of them provides a definite answer to which setup works to what extend
and what is to be avoided.

i guess that the following preconditions have to be met (please correct
me if i'm wrong):
* posix acls have to be supported on the fs level
* during writes, files must be transparently locked on the fs layer
* read- and write-operations on the shared file system should be
non-blocking, even if a node/brick is temporarily not available or goes
down during reads/writes

glusterfs, lustre and even drbd with something appropriate on top might
be feasible options … it would be really great if we could share some
experiences here.

many thanks in advance,
thoralf.
--
thoralf schulze
deutsche kinemathek - museum für film und fernsehen