[Samba] Variable expansion and samba 4 AD

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Feb 3 05:36:55 MST 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 12:19 +0100, Thoralf Schulze wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 02/03/2014 03:07 AM, john wrote:
> > Ive been running a samba3 ntdomain for some time on the home lan ,
> > with samba4 filtering through in debian, i started playing with a
> > Samba 4 AD/DC got it running in virtualbox, but my running server
> > uses things like includes based on %L and %u and also share
> > visibility based on some of these but , ive had no luck ,under samba
> > 4 AD/DC they do not work, or is this a case of debian doing odd
> > things ?
>
> i also noted that
>
>      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>
> does not work as expected for the samba server itself - the logfile
> written by the server is literally "/var/log/samba/%m.log". it does work
> for clients, however :-)
> this is with an up-to-date 4.1.3+dfsg-2~bpo70+1 form wheezy-backports.
>
> with kind regards,
> t.

The current recommendation is to not use a DC as a file server for
anything other than sysvol. samba runs a different version of smbd. If
you want the %variables as you wish, then it's easy to set up samba4 to
run smbd. If you can't justify/afford a second machine, then a VM is
ideal for this. Or stick the DC on the VM and use native for smbd.
HTH
Steve