[Samba] Member Server Setup Assistance

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:20:42 MST 2014

On 31/12/14 19:07, James wrote:
> Rowland,
>
>     I decided to start over with a fresh install and attempted again.
> Only change I made was to start my mappings at 10000. I gave 'Domain
> Users' group gid 10000 and 'tuser' has uid 10001. Still didn't work btw.
>
>  dn: CN=Test User,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=local
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: person
> objectClass: organizationalPerson
> objectClass: user
> cn: Test User
> sn: User
> givenName: Test
> instanceType: 4
> whenCreated: 20141231172021.0Z
> displayName: Test User
> uSNCreated: 477557
> name: Test User
> objectGUID: 90f95763-fe52-42b9-af86-8a84a4d5dd78
> userAccountControl: 66048
> codePage: 0
> countryCode: 0
> pwdLastSet: 130645200220000000
> primaryGroupID: 513
> objectSid: S-1-5-21-940051827-2291820289-3341758437-3126
> accountExpires: 9223372036854775807
> sAMAccountName: tuser
> sAMAccountType: 805306368
> userPrincipalName: tuser at domain.local
> objectCategory: CN=Person,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local
> unixUserPassword: ABCD!efgh12345$67890
> uid: tuser
> msSFU30Name: tuser
> msSFU30NisDomain: domain
> uidNumber: 10001
> loginShell: /bin/sh
> unixHomeDirectory: /home/tuser
> gidNumber: 10000
> whenChanged: 20141231185807.0Z
> uSNChanged: 477620
> distinguishedName: CN=Test User,CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=local
>

> On 12/31/2014 1:50 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 31/12/14 18:28, James wrote:
>>> Hi Rowland,
>>>
>>>     passwd:         compat winbind
>>>     group:            compat winbind
>>>
>>> 'getent passwd tuser' results in a blank terminal line.

>> OK, install ldb-tools if not already installed, then run:
>>
>> ldbedit -e nano -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb sAMAccountName=tuser
>>
>> Post the (sanitized) result
>>
>> Rowland

OK, you added that user with ADUC (RSAT) and as such you are using the
std windows start number 10000, which is the way I run samba. Here is my
smb.conf from the laptop I am writing this on:

[global]
         workgroup = EXAMPLE
         security = ADS
         realm = EXAMPLE.COM
         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
         server string = Samba 4 Client %h
         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes
         winbind use default domain = yes
         winbind expand groups = 4
         winbind nss info = rfc2307
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
         winbind normalize names = Yes
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 2000-9999
         idmap config EXAMPLE : backend  = ad
         idmap config EXAMPLE : range = 10000-999999
         idmap config EXAMPLE : schema_mode = rfc2307
         printcap name = cups
         cups options = raw
         usershare allow guests = yes
         domain master = no
         local master = no
         preferred master = no
         os level = 20
         map to guest = bad user
         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         map acl inherit = Yes
         store dos attributes = Yes

Compare it with yours, I can assure you it works.

Rowland