[Samba] upgrade from 4.1.9 to 4.1.13

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Wed Dec 31 09:47:00 MST 2014

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Marc Muehlfeld <mmuehlfeld at samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello David,
> >
> > Am 24.12.2014 um 08:52 schrieb David Bear:
> > > I went through the upgrade process describe here
> > > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
> >
> > Did you used exactly the same ./configure options, like in the 4.1.9
> > build? Then Samba and its libraries will be installed into the same
> > directories, like it was before and replaces everything.
> >

> Yes.  I  kept the configure simple (configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba)
>

> > It looks like, some parameters were different and you're still trying to
> > start the old binary.
> >

> I checked my build notes -- they are the same.
>

> > Can you start
> > # /usr/local/samba/bin/samba
> > directly (bypass your $PATH variable). Or where ever you have it installed.
> >
> > Yes, samba did eventually fully start. I don't know how long it took to
> fully launch all daemons, but I checked today and things were running.,
>
> Here is the a weirld message.
>
> running bin/smbstatus from my samba install I get the following:
>
> lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
> Initialising global parameters
> params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
> "/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
> Processing section "[global]"
>
> Samba version 4.1.14
> PID     Username      Group         Machine
>
> Service      pid     machine       Connected at
>
> Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
> Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED
> No locked files
>

> But, doing bin/smbclient -L localhost I get
>  bin/smbclient -L localhost
> Enter root's password:
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[AD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.14]
>
> Sharename       Type      Comment
> ---------       ----      -------
> netlogon        Disk
> sysvol          Disk
> IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.1.14)
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[AD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.14]
>
> Server               Comment
> ---------            -------
> A0373                A0373
> HAM1                 Samba 4.1.9
>
> Workgroup            Master
> ---------            -------
> AD                   HAM1
> BEARFAM.ORG          TYNDALE
> HERITAGE             A0206
> WORKGROUP            PARADON1
>
> NOTE: the machine I am doing this on is HAM1. So why would HAM1 report
> itself in smbstatus as 4.1.14 -- but on the comment line from smbclient
> report 4.1.9 ? I have looked in the smb.conf file and I do NOT have that
> anywhere.
>
> Finally, I noticed that there are LOTS of left over libraries in
> /usr/local/samba/lib -- from the time when I compiled samba back in June.
> But there are also NEW libraries in lib from when I compiled on Dec 24.

> [...]

Did you do the make install while Samba was still running? If so, perhaps
your system will not let you replace files that are open by a running
process.

Another possability is that somehow the permissions on the old files are
set so that the user you were installing as does not hame permission to
delete the old files.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com