[Samba] samba 4 member server in WIn 2008 domain, wbinfo fails, samba 3 is OK

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 09:30:00 MST 2014

I also configured a Samba 3.6.x (on Solaris 11) member server.
wbinfo works fine.   "wbinfo -u" lists users, and "wbinfo -S somesid"
will return the unix UID. (I have Unix Identify Management installed on
the Windows 2008 DC so that can configure  a unix user id number for
each user.)

Solaris and Fedora both use MIT kerberos.      I have NOT configure a
keytab file on either client set.          They should have the same
krb5.conf file.

The only difference was that the Solaris machine did not complain about
DNS updating failing.

I am guessing that winbind on Samba 4 member servers is behaving
differently than Winbind on Samba 3.

I am unclear how and  if winbind clients authenticate themselves to
domain controllers.   I am presuming the domain controller will only
allow account queries from machines joined to the domain.

On the linux machine

# kinit myname
Password for myname at MYDOMAIN.COM:

]# klist -e
Ticket cache: KEYRING:persistent:0:0
Default principal: damian at SSCI.COM

12/31/14 11:21:25  12/31/14 21:21:25 krbtgt/MYDOMAIN.COM at MYDOMAIN.COM
     renew until 01/07/15 11:21:22, Etype (skey, tkt): arcfour-hmac,
arcfour-hmac
[root at penguin ~]

On the solaris  machine

-> kinit
Password for myname at MYDOMAIN.COM:
kinit:  no ktkt_warnd warning possible
astronomix-> klist -e

Valid starting                Expires                Service principal
12/31/14 11:25:06  12/31/14 21:25:11 krbtgt/MYDOMAIN.COM at MYDOMAIN.COM
         renew until 01/07/15 11:25:06, Etype(skey, tkt): ArcFour with
HMAC/md5, ArcFour with HMAC/md5
astronomix->

It looks like the Windows 2008 server uses RC4 (ArcFour) encryption by
default and both linux and solaris will accept that.     (With Unix
kerberos servers, I find linux and solaris clients will support AES-256
so I am pretty sure I do not have a compatibility issue with kerberos.)

Thanks