[Samba] Member Server Setup Assistance

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:52:26 MST 2014

On 31/12/14 15:42, James wrote:
> Hello Stefan,
>
>     I learned the hard way about .local. I understand going forward.
>
> I do have an issue with the member server. Following along with the
> wiki I get stuck at 'Testing the Winbind user/group mapping'. Wbinfo
> works as expected but not
>
> #*id DomainUser*
>
> #*getent passwd*
>
> #*getent group*
>
> #*chown DomainUser:DomainGroup file*
>
> #*chgrp DomainGroup file*
>
> etc.
>
> I receive 'id: sambauser: No such user'. It will only retrieve local
> machine users. Let me preface by saying this is a Ubuntu 12.04 server
> with Samba 4.1.14.  Thanks.
>
> On 12/31/2014 10:00 AM, Stefan Kania wrote:

If you followed the wiki, you will be using the 'ad' backend. For this
to work, you need to add 'uidNumber' attributes to your users and a
'gidNumber' attribute to at least the Domain Users group. the numbers
that you add must be between the range you set in your smb.conf, again
if you followed the wiki, this will be between 500-40000.

Rowland