[Samba] sites and subnets

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Dec 31 05:58:30 MST 2014

Am 30.12.2014 um 22:20 schrieb David Bear:
> One more question -- using sites and services, if you rename
> 'default-first-site' to something else, are the results bad?
>
> I think we did rename it to our our location name -- which generated an
> error AFTER trying to join another machine to the AD. After renaming it
> back to default-first-site, we were able to join machines normally.
>
> I'm not sure what happens deep down with these commands.

At work I kept Default-First-Site-Name and just added a second site. So
I can't say if there's something broken then.

If you run
  # samba_dnsupdate --verbose
DNS entries should be updatet, like
_kerberos._tcp.default-first-site-name._sites.samdom.example.com

I can try renaming the Default-First-Site-Name and join a Workstation
afterwards in my test environment, when I have time.

Regards,
Marc