[Samba] wbinfo; --getdcname vs --DSgetdcname

Mike Morris mike at musicplace.com
Tue Dec 30 15:45:05 MST 2014

I'm wondering what the difference is between the two wbinfo functions,
"getdcname" and "DSgetdcname". The help is not very helpful here:

--dsgetdcname /|domain|/

    Find a DC for a domain.

--getdcname /|domain|/

    Get the DC name for the specified domain.

I have a Samba4 PDC that is returning different results for these
depending upon whether it's run on the PDC itself, or on a member
workstation; I'm trying to determine if this is related to group id
mapping issues.

On the PDC itself, "getdcname" just plain fails, with "Could not get dc
name".

But "dsgetdcname" returns what seem like valid results in both cases,
but with subtle differences, such as with or without leading "\\" in
names, and with netbios names in one case and an IP address in the
other. Lastly, the 3rd line of output is either a "1" or a "2", but I
have no idea what that signifies.

Can anyone clarify the output of dsgetdcname, and if this is normal?

ON THE PDC:

    mikem at galactica:/etc/samba$ sudo wbinfo --getdcname musicplace
    Could not get dc name for musicplace

    mikem at galactica:/etc/samba$ sudo wbinfo --dsgetdcname musicplace
    \\GALACTICA
    \\10.17.1.26
    1
    00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    MUSICPLACE
    (null)
    0x00000000
    (null)
    (null)
    mikem at galactica:/etc/samba$

ON A MEMBER WORKSTATION:

    mikem at kazoo:~$ sudo wbinfo --getdcname musicplace
    GALACTICA

    mikem at kazoo:~$ sudo wbinfo --dsgetdcname musicplace
    GALACTICA
    \\GALACTICA
    2
    00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    MUSICPLACE
    (null)
    0x00000000
    (null)
    (null)
    mikem at kazoo:~$

Thanks... and Happy New Year's Eve where timezone appropriate !!