[Samba] Connection hangs after unspecific time

Claus Gaisser mutetella at denkdran.org
Sun Dec 21 12:17:09 MST 2014

Hello,

I have a samba server installed on a Lenovo Laptop X100e with this
``smb.conf``:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = user

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0

server role = standalone server
map to guest = bad user
usershare allow guests = yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
valid user = %S

[Documents]
path = /srv/share/Dokumente
guest ok = yes
write list = mutetella

If I connect to the ``Documents`` share via

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.5/Documents /mnt/srv/Dokumente -o guest

all works fine till the server's monitor switch into powersave (going
blank) mode. After that I can connect to the server with ``ssh`` or
``ping`` but if I try to touch the share e.g. ``ls -laR
/mnt/srv/Dokumente`` the listing begins but after a few entries the
connection hangs. From now on there is no ``ssh``, ``ping`` or something
else possible too. After reinitial the ethernet card on servers side

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

all is fine. While the connection hangs after touching the share the
kernels arp-cache has no MAC entry on clients side to server IP and no
MAC entry on servers side to clients IP. I've tried to add permanent arp
entries but this was no solution.

I'm baffled... ;-(

Claus