[Samba] sysvol /etc /private replication/backup via git

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Dec 20 02:59:59 MST 2014

Hello Johannes,

Am 18.12.2014 um 12:23 schrieb johannesa:
> Basically I wan't to adapt the samba_backup script found in
> the sources to backup everything via git into our repository.
> I understand that the best solution would be to tar
> everything before commit.

You don't have to use tar. But you have to ensure, that you have a
backup, that includes the extended ACLs and attributes. And tar --xattrs
is an easy way.

> With the similar technology I wan't to synchronize sysvol.

Why not simply use an rsync based way, to keep everything in sync?
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_Replication
Easy to setup. Changes (e. g. GPO) are done on one host. All other are
pulling the changes.

> In case of disaster recovery I wan't to write another script
> that restores everything from our repo.

If your backup is only for sysvol: If you use rsync (see above) for
replication, a lost sysvol folder would automatically recovered if it's
one of the rsync slave hosts. You would only need a sysvol backup of the
host that is master for the others. And for that one host I would do the
restore manually. That are just some few steps to do and then I'm sure,
that it's done right and I can react, if something changed, that was
forgotten in the script.

> Did anyone try this already? Do you see pitfalls why this is a bad idea?
> Any comments are highly appreciated.

- You have to keep ext. ACLs/attributes

- Keep the time as short as possible, if files change. rsync transfers
the changed file with a temporary name and then replaces the file. This
is just a very short moment, where the file is not accessable.

Regards,
Marc