[Samba] Strange problem with pdbedit -Lv : missing users ?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 08:45:02 MST 2014

the testparm command will show you the location of the password file and
the backend type

e.g.

     smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
     passdb backend = tdbsam

The backend file should be a TDB database file , not a plain text file
(unless left over from an older version.)

You may have users or computers with duplicated SIDs.      You should
also use "getent passwd" to verify that unix accounts exist for each
user and computer.    Are you using winbind to automatically create unix
users for samba accounts?

you might also want to look at the log files to see what happens when a
"missing" user logs in.