[Samba] samba 4.1 roaming profiles

Mark Nienberg mnlists at tippingstructural.com
Mon Dec 15 17:15:25 MST 2014

After a lot of testing, it appears the problem is caused by the "profile
acls = yes" statement. If I remove that, then users can write roaming
profiles.

The workstations are Windows 7, and the man page for smb.conf refers to Win
XP and Win 2000 for the "profile acls" setting, so is this not needed
anymore? We have "profile acls = yes" on our samba 3.6 server and Windows 7
workstations work fine on that network.

Or another possibility is that this is all related to file acls, which seem
to be used in the profiles share, and which I am only beginning to get
familiar with. Perhaps this is because CentOS 7 mounts the filesystem with
file acls turned on by default, and on our CentOS 5 samba 3.6 server the
filesystem does not support facls by default (although we do use
user_xattr).

I'd love to get a better understanding of this if someone can help. Thanks,

Mark

--
Please update your records with my new email address.