[Samba] Samba 4 two DCs no matching UID/GID

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 11 02:56:32 MST 2014

On 10/12/14 21:53, Tim wrote:

> Am 10. Dezember 2014 22:26:52 MEZ, schrieb Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>:
>> On 10/12/14 21:05, Tim wrote:
>>> Thanks for your answer and time you offer for me. That makes it a bit
>>> clearer.
>>>
>>> I searched the web and found that rsat needs to have the nis tools
>>> installed.
>> Good luck with trying to install 'Service for NIS', it installs on a
>> windows AD DC, you haven't got a windows AD DC, you have a Samba AD DC
>> and  guess what, it already has the core of 'Service for NIS'
>> installed,
> I meant the nis tools feature for getting the Unix attributes tab in rsat/ADUC. Sorry that I was misunderstood.
>
>>> Does it create Unix uid/gid automatically then?
>> NO NO
>>
>>> Without rfc2307 information it makes no sense to me to have a *nix
>>> machine for file services and another one for backup purposes, when
>>> uid and gid are not same (due to preserve acls).
>>> And for now the xid is set on the FS.
>> Hard luck, that is just the way it is, **WHY* *do you think that it is
>> recommended to not use the DC as a fileserver ???
>>
>>> I haven't created a user or group with rsat nis tools enabled yet.
>> But
>>> I strongly hope that nis information will be generated automatically
>>> in the AD then. I'll try it tomorrow.
>> If you use the UNIX_Attributes tab in ADUC to give your users
>> 'uidNumbers' etc, then it is likely that you will start at '10000'.
> That's what I will do.
>
>> Once
>> you give your first user a 'uidNumber' then the next ID number will be
>> stored in AD.
> Just to be sure: So once a user got the first uid in Unix tab in ADUC all new created users or groups with ADUC will get assigned a uid/gid automatically in Unix attributes tab?
>
> For now, no user or group created with ADUC (without NIS tools installed) got an id in Unix tab. It's just empty.
>
>>> Manual setting these attributes will not be comfortable and could be
>>> forgotten when creating a new user or group. In the end filesystem
>>> permissions on different filers will be corrupt - especially when one
>>> DC will crash.
>> That is why I am advising you to use ADUC, it is either that or writing
>>
>> your own bash script around samba-tool or the ldb-tools.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
>>> Am 10. Dezember 2014 20:58:06 MEZ, schrieb Rowland Penny
>>> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>:

>>>      The numbers you are seeing are coming from idmap.ldb, now as you
>>>      are using Sernet packages on Centos7, this will be in
>>>      /var/lib/samba/private/idmap.ldb. The number 3000000 is an
>>>      xidNumber and is the result of samba4 mapping SID-RID to
>> something
>>>      that Unix will understand.
>>>      If you just used the Samba4 AD DC for authentication and didn't
>>>      store *anything* on the DC, you wouldn't need 'xidNumbers',
> [...]

OK, lets sort your problem of having an empty unix tab:

Install ldb-tools if not already installed.
Create an ldif file, call it something like update.ldif

  dn:
CN=<lowercase-domain-name>,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=example,DC=com
changetype: modify
replace: msSFU30MaxUidNumber
msSFU30MaxUidNumber: <start number>
-
changetype: modify
replace: msSFU30MaxGidNumber
msSFU30MaxGidNumber: <start number>

replace <lowercase-domain-name> with your domain/workgroup name.
replace DC=example,DC=com with your rootdse.
replace <start number> with the number that you want your ID numbers to
start at.

Now add the ldif:

ldbmodify --url=/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb /path/to/your/ldif

replace /path/to/your/ldif with the path to your ldif i.e. if your ldif
is in roots dir and you named it as suggested '/root/update.ldif'
You may also have to change the path to sam.ldb.

If you now go to ADUC and open a UNIX_Attribute tab, it should now
contain an ID number.

Rowland