[Samba] Samba 4 two DCs no matching UID/GID

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:26:52 MST 2014

On 10/12/14 21:05, Tim wrote:
> Thanks for your answer and time you offer for me. That makes it a bit
> clearer.
>
> I searched the web and found that rsat needs to have the nis tools
> installed.

Good luck with trying to install 'Service for NIS', it installs on a
windows AD DC, you haven't got a windows AD DC, you have a Samba AD DC
and  guess what, it already has the core of 'Service for NIS' installed,
> Does it create Unix uid/gid automatically then?

NO NO

> Without rfc2307 information it makes no sense to me to have a *nix
> machine for file services and another one for backup purposes, when
> uid and gid are not same (due to preserve acls).
> And for now the xid is set on the FS.

Hard luck, that is just the way it is, **WHY* *do you think that it is
recommended to not use the DC as a fileserver ???

> I haven't created a user or group with rsat nis tools enabled yet. But
> I strongly hope that nis information will be generated automatically
> in the AD then. I'll try it tomorrow.

If you use the UNIX_Attributes tab in ADUC to give your users
'uidNumbers' etc, then it is likely that you will start at '10000'. Once
you give your first user a 'uidNumber' then the next ID number will be
stored in AD.

> Manual setting these attributes will not be comfortable and could be
> forgotten when creating a new user or group. In the end filesystem
> permissions on different filers will be corrupt - especially when one
> DC will crash.

That is why I am advising you to use ADUC, it is either that or writing
your own bash script around samba-tool or the ldb-tools.

Rowland