[Samba] Samba 4 two DCs no matching UID/GID

Tim rintimtim at gmx.net
Wed Dec 10 07:39:14 MST 2014

I found this. But I didn't find it related to DC idmapping replication.

I have two pieces of hardware. My goal is realize an active directory for the windows clients and a file server. The AD should have redundancy (this is why I provisioned two DCs). The file should integrate snapshots like a NetApp system (snapshots are done by rsnapshot). The snapshot functionality works so far by mounting cifs shares read only of the backup hardware. But I will try this via NFS due to permissions. Mounting cifs shares leads to irritating permissions of ~snapshot folders ("Everyone" has full permissions).

So how would sssd help to replicate the ids regarding idmapping to the secondary DC? It seems that this is my only problem.

Another option is to have only one DC with NFS regarding snapshots and a file server who is integrating the snapshots as mentioned above.

But then I have to backup the idmapping file of the file server or does it get the ids from the AD DC so that I don't have to backup?
The FS stores the ACL by using the IDs. I am using XFS.

Thanks in advance
Tim