[Samba] Mount unix samba 4 share to osx client without mangled file names

Ralph Böhme rb at sernet.de
Wed Dec 10 04:06:05 MST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:10:36AM +0100, Markus Doits wrote:
> I have a unix server (arch linux) with samba 4.1.14. The share has files
> inside which where created directly on the server. Linux and OSX
> (10.10.1) clients should access the share and store files.
>
> When I mount this samba share into the osx client (10.10.1), files
> created directly on the server with special names like `File with
> "quotes"` are displayed mangled (`C7XSWH~V`) on the osx client.

these are NTFS/SMB illegal character so Samba must mangle them.

> When I create a file with special chars on the OSX client mount, it
> displays correctly in OSX but on the unix server it is display with a
> weird symbol like `File with quotes`.

That's the Unicode glyph for character in the Unicode private use
range. OS X maps all illegal NTFS characters to the Unicode private
range, the mapping is the venerable SFM sheme.

> I assume it is because OSX expects the filenames to be in utf-8 nfd
> form, but the filenames on the server server are stored in utf-8 nfc form.

No, different issue, just as bad. :)

> Am I right about this? Is this the problem?
>
> Basically I want to have a working samba share on my linux server where
> users from OSX and unix clients can access and store files, and special
> chars in file names should be allowed. Is there any way to do this cross
> platform?
>
> Do I have to tell osx to simply use utf-8 nfc encoding for the samba
> share? Or is there some special samba server/client config?

yes. vfs_fruit and

  fruit:encoding = native

cf man vfs_fruit. You'll need 4.2 for that, if you wait a few more
days you'll get 4.2rc3 that'll also ship my AAPL performance patches
for OS X clients.

-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de