[Samba] Samba4 DC with 2003 domain in w2k foresta level

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Dec 9 12:05:04 MST 2014

Hi Matteo,

> i've added a samba4 additional dc to my domain.
> all provision was ok with samba-tool domain join xx.mydomain.com DC
> -Uadministrator --realm=xx.mydomain.com command and i can replicate
> correctly from winpdc to sambadc.
> i have a couple of questions:
> 1) with adsedit i see objectversion 47 for my winpdc.mydom.com (is w2k3)
> which means 2008R2 (correct?)
> 2) on the samba4 side if i test samba-tool domain level show i have an
> error Could not retrieve the actual domain, forest level and/or lowest DC
> function level!
> from the ad user and computer mmc a can see that my w2k3 dc are:
> DCTYPE GC, DCVERSION W2K3 and my s4dc is DCTYPE GC, DCVERSION W2K
> I cannot connect to dns mmc for samba4dc because an error.
> Do i have to raise funtional level to w2k3 or w2k8r2 (as objectversion 47
> say) of my samba4 dc ? does this action impact to the samba side only ?
> thanks in advance for any help

I am not sure that win2k forest level migration is really supported for
switching to samba directly [1]. I usually first upgrade to win2k3 and
upgrade the forest at 2k3 level before switching to samba4.

When doing the switch you might also have to be careful about the _msdcs
subdomain that should be migrated to its own ForestDnsZones partition.

hope this helps,

Denis

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.internals/75582
--