[Samba] A set of questions before building a new server

Davor Vusir davortvusir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 05:50:48 MST 2014

> On 12/08/2014 09:11 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> I have a Samba server here with 4 users and 4 XP systems.  Kind of small,
>> but it does the job.  It is running as a PDC with roaming profiles.  I
>> should note that I left professionally supporting Windows networking around
>> the time XP came out, so I have maintained an NTDomain through a number of
>> incarnations (NT, Win2000, Samba2/3) and use of someone elses packaging.
>> This time I want to use as direct-to-Samba as I can.  All I want with this
>> server is to be a Samba server to Windows (and maybe Linux) machines.
>>
>> I have new hardware, an armv7 board that I can run either Redsleeve 6
>> (Centos 6 arm port) that has Samba3 or Fedora 21 that has Samba4. I have new
>> XP systems (updated with 'SP4' and right now standalone) ready to use this
>> server.  I will have to migrate 2 of the old systems.  The new server can be
>> on a new subnet with a new rfc1918 network address.  I will also be serving
>> gobal/static IPv6 addresses on this new network.  At some point I may
>> actually have a new Windows OS system, but there is no pressure here to do
>> that.  My family is so far content with Office 2003!
>>
>> So a set of questions come up:
>>
>> Do I migrate from NTDomain to AD, or stay with NTDomain for a few more
>> years?  Actually can be a total fresh build of AD.
>

> As I read more, it seems to be prudent to run the AD controller separate
> from the file server.  I do not want/need mulitple boxes here, now will I go
> into VMs for this.  So it looks like staying with NTDomain for me.  Plus
> stay with what I have some experience with.
>

>> Does AD require Samba 4?  I have looked at the Wiki, and have not seen
>> this clearly stated, but that is probably my reading challenges.
>> Does AD support roaming profiles?
>> I like that AD has the LDAP built in.  But do I still need an LDAP admin
>> tool for AD?
>> If I stay with NTDomain, what LDAP tool to use?
>>
>> As I start building, then rebuilding the new server, I know I will have
>> more questions.  Hopefully most will be on the Wiki, and I will be able to
>> find them.
>>
>> thank you
>> Now back to reading more on the Wiki and elsewhere

If your hardware supports it, I think you should go with a virtual
server for the AD DC and a separate file-/printserver. There are fine
guides in the wiki about setting up both the AD DC and a
file-/printserver. And *a lot* of material in the mail archives. If
not, there is a guide that you can follow. But please be quick to copy
it (PDFCreator is a good choice) because I am thinking of asking Marc
to retract it or at least put it on the scrap-pile of historical
(well...) documents. It works but has grown stale and I won't either
update it or give any support as I don't think it is the proper way.
The how-to is found here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/WIP/Beginner_HowTo_-_SOHO_business_server.

Regards
Davor