[Samba] How to copy roaming profiles to new server ? ("Group policy client service failed. The logon access is denied")

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Dec 8 13:06:28 MST 2014

Hello Denis,

Am 08.12.2014 um 20:25 schrieb (lists) Denis BUCHER:
> We have perfectly working roaming profiles on Samba 3.3.10 (SuSE) with
> Windows 7 clients. We configured our new server with same domain name,
> Samba 4.1.11 (Debian).
>
> On the new server, for newly created profiles, it works perfectly, we
> can login, logout, profiles are created and saved. But if we want to
> copy an existing profile from current server to the new one, it's
> impossible to login, we get the following error : "Group policy client
> service failed. The logon access is denied".

How are the IDs mapped on both servers? Do the users/groups have the
same IDs on both machines? E. g. if you store them in your AD / PDC
backend and retrive them on the fileserver, then you should be able to
simply copy the profiles and preserve the file permissions.

If you used a local ID mapping on the old server, you have to transfer
the idmapping DB, to keep UIDs/GIDs.

Regards,
Marc