[Samba] Fwd: Installing EnterpriseSamba (Sernet-samba) on Ubuntu

Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sun Dec 7 08:40:38 MST 2014

I will add here that my server provisioned yesterday afternoon. However,
I did not have time to do any testing.

So, this morning testing and the first thing I discovered was
"sernet-samba-ad" service was NOT running.

I found a Debian Wheezy sernet samba posting (via Google) and within it
read that users need to edit "/etc/default/sernet-samba" as follows:

# ---- SETUP SAMBA: service ad / smb / nmbd

# enabled ad in /etc/default/sernet-samba for the AD server.

vi /etc/default/sernet-samba

# change this to : SAMBA_START_MODE="ad"

# change : SAMBA_RESTART_ON_UPDATE="yes"

Then I restarted the server and 'service --status-all' shows
sernet-samba-ad service with a plus sign (+) which meant it was running.

Then all the usual samba, krb5 and host "tests" returned correct
results.

I then went to one of my W7 clients, changed the dns ip address on the
network adapter to my new Samba4 server address and the client connected
and logged on to the newly created Samba4 AD DC.

I hope this helps others with sernet-samba.
---

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846 (main)
www.donelsontrophy.com [1]