[Samba] Samba embedded device?

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:58:30 MST 2014

I've been thinking about this for 2 years. I held back waiting for samba 4
DC stability. It was a mistake to wait this long. It seems that AD DC
functionality in samba for is really good -- and stable.

I was thinking of using Intel NUC devices for this. I am running a school
with 3 campuses and about 800 students and 200 facutly of a zotac box
running samba 4.1.x. I would love to collaborate with anyone on the best
stack to build this with. I'd also like to better understand all the python
api's needed to do things like user management, ou creation, etc. ..
samba-tool is not my favorite utility..

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM, George <jorgito1412 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Gregory Sloop <gregs at sloop.net> wrote:
>
> >  I love the idea of a low-power high-performance appliance. A NAS will
> > work fine for storage, but it's not going to act as a DC etc. [At least
> > none that I'm aware of and would trust.]
> >
> > Even appliances sorta like this, that I've seen, are easily five times
> the
> > price.
> >
> > -Greg
> >

> Howcome no one has though of this before?? What is the "Samba equivalent",
> as the Alix 2D3 is for SOHO routers?? There's a market gap right there...
> Or maybe I am the one who thinks this way?
>
> Still, thanks for your advice! You are right, so far Optiplexes or similar
> pretty much fulfill all the requirementes I mentioned before: they are
> cheap, good looking, silent and with some care also pretty reliable.
>
> Best regards!
>
> George
> --

David Bear