[Samba] Runnung samba4 as classic domain controller, win7 thinks it is AD

Michael Tokarev mjt+samba at tls.msk.ru
Sat Dec 6 11:17:19 MST 2014

Hello.

For may years we're running a classic (NT-style) domain with many
machines (mostly windows7 these days).  Initially it was set up
using samba3, and now we upgraded samba to samba4 (4.1.11), without
introducing AD functionality (it is not needed).

I especially asked in several places whenever samba4 supports NT-style
domains, and got several positive answers.

Now, we're trying to join a new machine to this domain.  And it fails
with the following message (translated from russian, as it is a ru
windows):

 Unable to join to domain controller of Active Directory domain TLS.

 Make sure that the name entered is correct.

 Details:

   Possible, domain name "TLS" is a NetBIOS-name of the domain.
   Verify that the name is correctly registered in WINS.

   If it is not a NetBIOS-name, the following information might
   help to correct a problem in DNS configuration.

   Error resolving SRV record _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.TLS, name does
   not exists.

Now I wonder if samba4 really supports classic NT4-style domains.
Previously it was eaily possible to join win7 machines to the
domain, after a small registry tweak (DNSNameResolutionRequired=0
and DomainCompatibilityMode=1 in Lanmanworkstation\Parameters).
Now I always see the above when tryin to join.

Any way to fix this, without reinstalling samba3, which requires
basically re-creating the domain and re-joining all machines to
it again, because samba3 is unable to open samba4 registry files?

Thank you!

/mjt