[Samba] is SFU home directories an easy development?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 5 12:52:21 MST 2014

On Sun, 2014-11-30 at 12:52 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:

> > Steve (the doesn't want to work weekends one)
> Well, I agree with a lot of what he said, but not the way he said it,
> what I definitely agree with, is that the samba devs seem to be ignoring
> the platform that S4 is mainly running on, something they could easily
> change by just getting winbindd to pull **ALL** the RFC2307 attributes.

Rowland,

Please don't say things are easy without enclosing the patch, or the
example re-configuration.  For Samba 4.2, I'm simply glad to have been
able to deprecate the built in winbind.  That was the only goal I had -
change the implementation, without changing the behaviour.  Even then,
we have a blocker bug 10720 - "error: Unable to convert first SID" that
almost scuttled the whole idea.

For better or worse, the idmap and nss codepaths in winbind are entirely
separate, so while conceptually connected, the practice is a little more
complex.  How much more I'm sure you can tell me when you get back to me
with a patch, or an example config.  Then, we can start on the equally
difficult path of deciding how/when to change the defaults, because
breaking existing systems on upgrade also isn't fair.

In the meantime, please drop this, or open a commercial support case
with a vendor.  Repeating this over and over isn't helping.

Andrew Bartlett