[Samba] Change domain name

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Dec 5 04:35:39 MST 2014

Hi Andrew,

> On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 23:41 -0200, Everton Cordeiro wrote:
>> it is possible to change the name of the domain?
>>
>>    ad.domain.local
>>    domain.local
>>
>> Samba4 version 4.1.13
>
> Not currently.  Also, we don't correctly join such domains if done with
> with windows tools.

here is a little feedback on domain rename I had to do 2 years ago.

I had to migrate a single-label domain from win2k3 to samba4. It was a
non critical small network of 30 users/workstations with a single DC and
no interdomain trust.

I didn't want to keep the single-label domain name, so I had the choice
between rejoining all the workstation to a proper new domain or trying
to rename it.

We tried the renaming path, knowing that the worst case scenario was to
rejoin all the computers. And actually the samba4 joined properly after
resetting AD epoch to 0, and the win2k3 was then demoted.

It has been working properly since then. It is currently in version
4.0.5, with only one DC and a member file server. However, from reading
the samba bugzilla and MS technet docs, I understand the domain will
probably have replication issues if I try to join a second DC or setup
trust relationship.

Hope this helps.

Denis

--