[Samba] uidNumber. ( Was: What is --rfc2307-from-nss ??)

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Dec 2 11:47:33 MST 2014

On 02/12/14 09:29, Greg Zartman wrote:

> I think I've finally got this all sorted out.  After I setup a user using
> samba-tool user create, I'll pull the RID for this new user and then set
> the UID/GID = RID + 3000.   I'll then set xidNumber = UIDNumber(GIDNumber),
> as appropriate.

I'd recommend using only 1 database for all your users (AD) and leave
xidNumber in the independent idmap database and use that only for the
builtin groups. That way, your users get replicated with exactly the
same attributes to all DCs. idmap is not replicated and so you end up
with users only being recognised on the DC which happened to be queried
when you created the user. In all cases ever know to mankind, that's a
mess. Stick to AD if you possibly can. Windows does.
HTH,
Steve